Definition: To call to question or to mistrust; the inclination to disbelieve; to be in a state of uncertainty or indecision in regards to truth; to waver in opinion.
1. It's the Devil's business to tempt us to doubt God's Word and to try to get us to believe his word.
* Genesis 3:1-6 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? 2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: 3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. 4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. 6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
* 2 Corinthians 11:3 [The Enemy likes to undermine simple, childlike faith.] But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
* 2 Corinthians [When the Devil can persuade us to believe his lies, he gains the upper hand:] Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices. [See also Romans 6:16.]
* John 8:44b [The Devil is the father of lies.] He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. [See also Acts 13:10; Revelation 12:9.]
* 1 John 4:1 [Beware of voices that breed doubt and fear in your mind. Test them with the Word, prayer and godly counsel.] Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
2. It's not a sin to be tempted with doubts, but it is a sin to entertain doubts and yield to them.
* Romans 14:23b For whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
* 1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, Who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
* Hebrews Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
* James 1:12-15 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love Him. 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth He any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
3. The Devil's lies, or others' doubts, don't change the facts of God's truth.
* Numbers God is not a man, that He should lie; neither the Son of man, that He should repent: hath He said, and shall He not do it? Or hath He spoken, and shall He not make it good?
* Isaiah 55:11 So shall My Word be that goeth forth out of My mouth: it shall not return unto Me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
* Malachi 3:6a For I am the Lord, I change not.
* Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My Words shall not pass away.
* Romans 3:3 For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
* 2 Timothy If we believe not, yet He abideth faithful: He cannot deny Himself.
4. Common causes of doubts and doubting:
* Proverbs 29:18 [Loss of connection with the Word:] Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
* Malachi 3:14a [Weariness in well-doing:] Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept His ordinance?
* Matthew 14:30,31 [Looking at circumstances instead of the Lord:] But when he [Peter] saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. 31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth His hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
* Luke 12:29,30 [Over-concern about physical needs:] And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. 30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
* John [Failure to keep the Lord in first place:] How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
* Hebrews 10:35,36 [Impatience:] Cast not away therefore your confidence [faith], which hath great recompence of reward. 36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. [See also Psalm 31:22a.]
* Psalm 78:11,19,20 [Forgetting all the wonderful things that the Lord has done:] And [they] forgat His works, and His wonders that He had shewed them. 19 Yea, they spake against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness? 20 Behold, He [through Moses] smote the rock, that the waters gushed out, and the streams overflowed; can He give bread also? Can He provide flesh for His people?
5. Doubt is voiced in murmuring. Those who voice doubt are spreading Satan's propaganda.
* Numbers 13:31-33; 14:1,2 [The men of Israel who brought back a doubtful exaggerated and negative report concerning the land which God promised to them, caused the people to murmur against Moses.] But the men that went up with him said, We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we. 32 And they brought up an evil report of the land which they had searched unto the children of Israel, saying, The land, through which we have gone to search it, is a land that eateth up the inhabitants thereof; and all the people that we saw in it are men of a great stature. 33 And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight. 14:1 And all the congregation lifted up their voice, and cried; and the people wept that night. 2 And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron: and the whole congregation said unto them, Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt! Or would God we had died in this wilderness!
* Psalm 106:24,25 Yea, they [the Children of Israel] despised the pleasant land, they believed not His Word: 25 But murmured in their tents, and hearkened not unto the voice of the Lord. [See also Numbers 14:36; Deuteronomy 1:28.]
* Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
6. Some of the other consequences of doubts:
* Hebrews 11:6 [Doubts cause us to disappoint and displease God:] But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.
* Isaiah 7:9b [Doubts cause the Lord to withhold His blessings:] If ye will not believe, surely ye shall not be established.
* Matthew 13:58 [Doubts limit what the Lord can do in our behalf:] And He did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.
* Mark 4:40 [Doubts open the door to fears:] And He said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? How is it that ye have no faith?
* Mark 11:22,23 [Doubts hinder His ability to work through us:] And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. 23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
* Romans 14:22b [Doubts rob us of the happiness:] Happy is he that condemneth not himself in the thing which he alloweth.
* Hebrews 3:18,19 [Doubts rob us of the Lord's peace and rest:] And to whom sware He that they should not enter into His rest, but to them that believed not? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
* Hebrews 4:2 [Doubts cause the Word to lose its miracle working power in our lives:] For unto us was the Gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the Word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. [See also Deuteronomy 32:20.]
* James 1:6,7 [Doubts cause the Lord to withhold answers to our prayers:] But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
7. If we don't receive the truth, we are left to doubts and delusions.
* Matthew 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
* 2 Corinthians 4:3,4 But if our Gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious Gospel of Christ, Who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
* Luke 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear [the Word]; then cometh the Devil, and taketh away the Word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
* 1 Timothy 1:18b,19 War a good warfare, 19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck.
* 2 Timothy 4:3,4 [Watch out when you can't take the truth, and seek for teachings which make you comfortable.] For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
* 2 Thessalonians 2:12 That they all might be damned [judged] who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
* 1 Peter 2:7,8 Unto you therefore which believe He is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, 8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the Word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
8. It is the Lord Who overcomes our doubts in response to our sincere concern and prayers.
* Psalm 51:10-13 [David prayed:] Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from Thy presence; and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore unto me the joy of Thy Salvation; and uphold me with Thy free spirit. 13 Then will I teach transgressors Thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto Thee.
* Psalm 138:8 The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: Thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of Thine Own hands.
* Mark 9:23,24,28b,29 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 24 And straightway the father of the [demon-possessed] child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief. [After Jesus rebuked the foul spirit and the child was healed:] 28b His disciples asked Him privately, Why could not we cast him out? 29 And He said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
* Luke 17:5 And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.
* Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith; Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
* 1 Peter 1:22,23 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
9. Resist the Devil and yield your mind to the Lord.
* Isaiah 55:7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.
* Jeremiah 4:14 O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?
* Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: [See also Jeremiah 17:9.]
* 2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
* Ephesians 4:27 [Don't entertain doubts or they will grow:] Neither give place to the Devil.
* Ephesians 6:13,16,17 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of Salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.
* 1 Peter 1:13a Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober. [See also Luke 12:35.]
10. Carnal mindedness leads to doubt. We can't understand the Lord's ways with our carnal minds.
* Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
* Isaiah 55:8,9 For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. 9 For as the Heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.
* Matthew 16:16,17 [Peter's belief that Jesus was the Son of God was through the Spirit, not carnal reasoning.] And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in Heaven.
* Mark 2:5-8 [Carnal reasoning got the learned scribes nowhere, except to cause them to doubt in Jesus.] When Jesus saw their faith [those who brought the sick man to Jesus], He said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee. 6 But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, 7 Why doth this Man thus speak blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God only? 8 And immediately when Jesus perceived in His Spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, He said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?
* John 3:3,4,7,9,10,12 [Even the learned rabbi, Nicodemus, could not understand the simple spiritual truths of Jesus, until he stopped his carnal analyzing.] Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto Him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 7 [Jesus said:] Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 9 Nicodemus answered and said unto Him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of Heavenly things?
* John 6:53,60,61,66 [Carnal reasoning, when tested by the Lord through His radical message, hurt the faith of some disciples, yet it was simple abiding faith that kept the true disciples through it all.] Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink His blood, ye have no life in you. 60 Many therefore of His disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? 61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples murmured at it, He said unto them, Doth this offend you? 66 From that time many of His disciples went back, and walked no more with Him. 67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? 68 Then Simon Peter answered Him, Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the Words of Eternal Life. 69 And we believe and are sure that Thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
* John 14:26 [The Holy Ghost will help you overcome doubts and come to greater understanding.] But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, Whom the Father will send in My Name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
* Romans 8:7-9 Because the carnal mind is enmity [full of hatred] against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His.
* 1 Corinthians 1:21 [Worldly wisdom doesn't help us receive the things of the Spirit.] For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
* 1 Corinthians 2:11-16 [Only God can reveal His spiritual truths to you.] For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? Even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.
* Ephesians 4:17,18 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart.
* Galatians 1:11,12 [Saul of Tarsus, after his conversion to the faith, became the Apostle Paul, who testified that his learning and enlightenment was not from carnal man.] But I certify you, brethren, that the Gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
11. Only weak or doubting faith seeks miracles and signs.
* Matthew 16:1 The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired Him that He would shew them a sign from Heaven. [See also 1 Corinthians 1:22.]
* Matthew 16:4a A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign.
* Luke 16:31 [When the rich man, who was in Hell, begged Abraham to allow Lazarus to go back warn his brothers, Abraham explains:] If they hear not Moses and the prophets [the Word], neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
* Luke 23:8-9 And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see Him of a long season, because he had heard many things of Him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by Him. 9 Then he questioned with Him in many words; but He [Jesus] answered him nothing.
* John 4:48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.
* John 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
* 1 Corinthians 1:22,23 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness.
12. The sure cure for doubts is the Word.
* Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.
* John 20:30,31 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this Book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His Name.
* Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
* 1 Timothy 4:6b [Feed your faith and your doubts will starve to death.] Nourished up in the Words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
* Hebrews 4:12 For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
* 2 Peter 1:16,19 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 19 We have also a more sure Word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts.
13. One of our best defenses against doubts is to stay positive by keeping our eyes on Jesus and His goodness.
* Psalm 27:13 I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
* Psalm 94:19 In the multitude of my thoughts within me Thy comforts delight my soul.
* Psalm 119:165 Great peace have they which love Thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
* Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.
* Philippians 4:8 [Fill your mind and heart with His truth and there will be no room for the lies of the Devil:] Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
14. Encouraging testimonies from others also strengthens our faith.
* 2 Kings 5:1-4 [Hearing the little Hebrew maid's testimony of faith inspired Naaman, commander of the Syrian army:] Now Naaman, captain of the host of the king of Syria, was a great man with his master, and honourable, because by him the Lord had given deliverance unto Syria: he was also a mighty man in valour, but he was a leper. 2 And the Syrians had gone out by companies, and had brought away captive out of the land of Israel a little maid; and she waited on Naaman's wife. 3 And she said unto her mistress, Would God my lord were with the prophet that is in Samaria! For he would recover him of his leprosy. 4 And one went in, and told his lord, saying, Thus and thus said the maid that is of the land of Israel. [Naaman went, and after following Elisha's instructions, was not only healed of his leprosy, but became a believer. For the full story, read the whole chapter.]
* John 4:28-30,39 [The woman at the well:] The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, 29 Come, see a Man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ? 30 Then they went out of the city, and came unto Him. … 39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on Him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.
* John 17:20 Neither pray I for these [His original twelve disciples] alone, but for them also which shall believe on Me through their word.
15. Sometimes the only thing we can do is hold on and keep trusting that God knows best!
* Psalm 31:24 Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.
* 1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you [be courageous] like men, be strong.
* Colossians 1:23a If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the Gospel, which ye have heard.
* Colossians 2:6,7 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him: 7 Rooted and built up in Him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
* Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for He is faithful that promised.)
* Hebrews 11:27b By faith he [Moses] … endured, as seeing Him Who is invisible.
16. Some of the greatest men in the Bible were tempted with bouts of doubts, but they fought through to victory and their examples inspire us to do likewise!
* Genesis 15:7,8 [Abraham at first doubted God's promise to him that he would inherit the land of Canaan. But he obeyed anyway, and went on to become the father of faith.] And He said unto him, I am the Lord that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it. 8 And he said, Lord God, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it? [See also Galatians 3:6-9.]
* Genesis 18:12-14; Hebrews 11:11 [Sarah, Abraham's wife, doubted God's incredible claim that she would give birth many years past the age of childbearing, but she went on to believe, and gave birth to Isaac.] Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also? 13 And the Lord said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old? 14 Is any thing too hard for the Lord? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son. Hebrews 11:11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful Who had promised.
* Exodus 3:11,12 And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt? 12 And He said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.
* Exodus 4:10-12 [Still, Moses felt insecure about leading the people; but he did, and God blessed him for it.] And Moses said unto the Lord, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since Thou hast spoken unto Thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue. 11 And the Lord said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? Or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? Have not I the Lord? 12 Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say. [Moses still doubted, as shown by verses 13-16, so God let his brother Aaron be Moses' spokesman.]
* Psalm 31:22 [King David had his times of doubts and despair also, but the Lord always saw him through:] For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before Thine eyes: nevertheless Thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto Thee.
Matthew 11:2,3 [John the Baptist, who
baptized Jesus and originally proclaimed and acknowledged His divinity, later
began to question whether Jesus was the actual Messiah or not. Yet he went on
to become the first martyr of the
* Matthew 16:21-23 [Peter misguidedly rebuked and attempted to counsel Jesus, thinking he was encouraging His faith, however Jesus was not pleased that Peter doubted the prophetic Words He had just spoken:] From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto His disciples, how that He must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. 22 Then Peter took Him, and began to rebuke Him, saying, Be it far from Thee, Lord: this shall not be unto Thee. 23 But He turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind Me, Satan: thou art an offence unto Me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
John 20:27,28 [Thomas, who is
widely remembered for his doubting nature, is said to have gone on to reach
17. We are called to simply believe in the unseen by faith.
* 2 Chronicles 20:20b Believe in the Lord your God, so shall ye be established; believe His prophets, so shall ye prosper.
* Matthew 9:29b According to your faith be it unto you.
* Romans For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
* Romans 12:3b According as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.
* Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
* 2 Corinthians While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
* 2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.
* 1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.